Saturday, October 17, 2015

DIY Toddler Backpack Made from Baby Clothes


I made a little backpack for my grandsons second birthday from some of his baby clothes. I was putting off this project for sometime as I was not sure how to approach it. The size of the backpack depended on the size of shirt I was making with it. 


I was originally going to use this flannel shirt as the outside. I cut off all the buttons and sewed the shirt shut. I cut off the sleeves. I discovered that the backpack would be too flimsy so I got some
cargo pants to use for the outside of the backpack, and used the flannel shirt as the liner. 


I decorated the outside with pockets from other cargo pants and a tag from one of my grandson's shirts. The "cool little dude" was from a onesie. 


I thought it would be cute to personalize it a little so I made our grandson's first initial out of leftover flannel from the shirt and sewed in onto a denim star tag.


I tried to utilize all the pockets I could from the cargo pants and any extra snaps or buttons I randomly sewed on. I did purchase a backpack to use the straps from it. I did cut them down a little to make it smaller for a toddler back pack.


This made for a very sweet and sentimental gift as it is hard for moms to get rid of those sweet little baby clothes. Of course I filled it up with other things for a birthday surprise. 

Thanks for stopping by! 

2 comments: