Friday, May 13, 2011

Garden Planter Makeover


We bought a couple of large plastic planters a few years back at Costco. We bought them because they were a really good price for the size. A lot of other people had the same idea. These pots are all over the place. I never really liked the color. We bought two of them and one was darker than the other. The dark brown didn't really match our house either. These pots had two strikes against them - they were all over the place, and the color - blah. It never occurred to me before I entered the world of blog land that I could paint them. All the spray painting projects I have seen motivated me to do this planter makeover. 


Doesn't it look so much better? Here is what I did. After cleaning and sanding the pots, I spray painted them with two light coats of "Prairie Grass" plastic spray paint. When the paint was dry, I rubbed on some grey acrylic paint with a cloth. I wiped the pot with a slightly wet cloth to reveal bits of the green underneath. After the pot was dry I sanded it lightly with steel wool to scuff it up a bit.


I love the way these pots turned out. They don't look like Costco pots any more. They also go with the sagebrush wreath I made for my front door. 


Thanks for stopping by!


5 comments:

  1. I really like what you did with the planter! Look so much better now. Good color choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever and creative! Now, only YOU have that exact planter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This motivates me to do something with all of the ugly plastic planters I have in the garage! Thanks for giving detailed information on how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant my dear! thanks so much for partying with whipperberry!!
    kisses

    ReplyDelete